Master and Margarita

Get hold of Master and Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov

Editorial Review
(Amazon) Surely no stranger work exists in the annals of protest literature than The Master and Margarita. Written during the Soviet crackdown of the 1930s, when Mikhail Bulgakov's works were effectively banned, it wraps its anti-Stalinist message in a complex allegory of good and evil. Or would that be the other way around? (...) Given that the Master's novel and this one end the same way, are they in fact the same book? These are only a few of the many questions Bulgakov provokes, in a novel that reads like a set of infinitely nested Russian dolls: inside one narrative there is another, and then another, and yet another. His devil is not only entertaining, he is necessary: "What would your good be doing if there were no evil, and what would the earth look like if shadows disappeared from it?"

Unsurprisingly-in view of its frequent, scarcely disguised references to interrogation and terror--Bulgakov's masterwork was not published until 1967, almost three decades after his death. Yet one wonders if the world was really ready for this book in the late 1930s, if, indeed, we are ready for it now. Shocking, touching, and scathingly funny, it is a novel like no other. Woland may reattach heads or produce 10-ruble notes from the air, but Bulgakov proves the true magician here. The Master and Margarita is a different book each time it is opened.


My suggestion (because this is one of the strangest but still captivating books I ever read.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Scholiast said...

I think I was slightly lead astray by the book blurb - describing a scenario I didn't quite find when reading it. Anyway, intriguing and captivating, but totally left me at a loss as I'd finished it...

2/15/2006 11:27:00 AM  
Blogger author said...

A very mysterious book indeed, and I'm sure I didn't get half of it - but I still really enjoyed it!

2/15/2006 12:08:00 PM  
Blogger Hyperion said...

I love all the Russian Masters, but I have to agree that this one messed me up. The first one hundred and fifty pages are difficult to navigate at times, but when you get the speech rhythms down, look out!

3/08/2006 08:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home